I spent a lot of time yesterday just thinking. I, like Jenna, find that I set goals and do well for the "10 week program" and then find myself slipping back to where I was. So, yesterday I set out to find some help to keep me motivated. Something to keep me focused on the long term. I found a talk given by Elder Holland to BYU last year. You can find it here. His talk is called "Remember Lot's Wife." He can tell you the story. What it made me think of is how I always start "dieting" or "exercising" looking backwards. Thinking I hope I don't always have to do this,because, or course, who wants to work hard and sweat to get somewhere for the rest of their life. Or I can't wait until I lose this weight because then I can eat what I want.....just so long it is in moderation. That is a backwards view. I need to look forward and decide what changes need to be made now and in the future to become better and move forward. Isn't it fun that the gospel doesn't just apply to the spiritual things in life? That these same prinicipals can be applied to temperal things to bring about a better outcome. So, since I want to progress to an eternal body, I need to figure out my temporal body. I need to treat it like a temple. With all that said, I expect that I will be human (unfortunately) and fall of the wagon, but I now have you to help me climb back in and keep going.
So, here are my becoming healthy goals -
1. I will exercise at least 5 times a week.
2. I will keep a food journal and choose healthy foods.
3. To keep up eating healthy, I will spend some time each week, planning what I will eat the following week. This will also help my family to eat better.
Now comes the action part.
1. I will exercise at least 5 times a week.
A. I need to get up earlier to accomplish this plan. I know I can do it. I just need to stop being lazy. So. 5 AM it is. Starting tomorrow. Someone may have to call me. :)
B. I am currently doing the Couch to 5K program. I am going to continue that. It would be great if I could run a 5K in 30 minutes. So I will do that 3 times a week.
C. Usually, on the days that I run, I do stairs, push ups, sit-ups, and some weight lifting to get my biceps and triceps to stop being floppy. I am going to continue this adding a little more each week.
D. The other days, I have some great work-out videos that I am going to use.
2. I will keep a food journal and choose healthy foods.
A. I joined weight watchers online. I wanted to see if I could find some really good recipes and also check out their ideas for weight loss. I also have some great healthy cookbooks. I am going to use those more than my others.
B. I will log my food choices there and have an online journal.
3. To keep up eating healthy, I will spend some time each week, planning what I will eat the following week. This will also help my family to eat better.
A. I think in some ways this will be the hardest part. I have taught my family all about eating rich, sugary foods. That is what we like. So, I will spend one morning each week planning our weekly menu. Including, snacks.
You are probably laughing now. I know, excessive on the goal planning, but I was told once that if you don't get really detailed on your goals you will be less likely to commit to them and less likely to succeed. I am sure that they will change and need some adjustments, but hopefully, I will be able to stick with them.
So, here are my becoming healthy goals -
1. I will exercise at least 5 times a week.
2. I will keep a food journal and choose healthy foods.
3. To keep up eating healthy, I will spend some time each week, planning what I will eat the following week. This will also help my family to eat better.
Now comes the action part.
1. I will exercise at least 5 times a week.
A. I need to get up earlier to accomplish this plan. I know I can do it. I just need to stop being lazy. So. 5 AM it is. Starting tomorrow. Someone may have to call me. :)
B. I am currently doing the Couch to 5K program. I am going to continue that. It would be great if I could run a 5K in 30 minutes. So I will do that 3 times a week.
C. Usually, on the days that I run, I do stairs, push ups, sit-ups, and some weight lifting to get my biceps and triceps to stop being floppy. I am going to continue this adding a little more each week.
D. The other days, I have some great work-out videos that I am going to use.
2. I will keep a food journal and choose healthy foods.
A. I joined weight watchers online. I wanted to see if I could find some really good recipes and also check out their ideas for weight loss. I also have some great healthy cookbooks. I am going to use those more than my others.
B. I will log my food choices there and have an online journal.
3. To keep up eating healthy, I will spend some time each week, planning what I will eat the following week. This will also help my family to eat better.
A. I think in some ways this will be the hardest part. I have taught my family all about eating rich, sugary foods. That is what we like. So, I will spend one morning each week planning our weekly menu. Including, snacks.
You are probably laughing now. I know, excessive on the goal planning, but I was told once that if you don't get really detailed on your goals you will be less likely to commit to them and less likely to succeed. I am sure that they will change and need some adjustments, but hopefully, I will be able to stick with them.
2 comments:
Your doing great!! now if I could get as good as you!!!
Now, that huge of a change in my exercise habits would intimidate me into not starting. I admire your determination!
Post a Comment