Since working within my target heart rate for 3 of my work outs is one of my goals I thought I'd share how to figure that out. Just in case anyone else is interested. You need to know your:
1)Resting heart rate: best if taken before you get up in the morning, but I took mine sitting here at the computer.
2)Maximum heart rate: 220 - your age
3)Heart rate reserve: max. heart rate - resting heart rate
Your target heart range is between 60 and 85% of the maximal reserve. So to figure that out the formula is:
heart rate reserve x 0.60 + resting heart rate = the lower limit of your range and
heart rate reserve x 0.85 + resting heart rate = the upper limit of your range
So, for cardio, it really doesn't matter what you are doing, it can be jumping rope, running, chasing kids around, whatever, but to be effectively working your heart and lungs you need to stay in your target heart range for 20 - 30 min. three to five times per week.
So, for me I'm doing this 3 x's a week for now, and I'm doing strength and flexibility exercises with bands the other days. This is what will help me keep up with my kids and have more energy! Right now I'm basically carrying around the weight equivalent of a big bag of grain or a bale of hay all the time! I want to get it off!!
1)Resting heart rate: best if taken before you get up in the morning, but I took mine sitting here at the computer.
2)Maximum heart rate: 220 - your age
3)Heart rate reserve: max. heart rate - resting heart rate
Your target heart range is between 60 and 85% of the maximal reserve. So to figure that out the formula is:
heart rate reserve x 0.60 + resting heart rate = the lower limit of your range and
heart rate reserve x 0.85 + resting heart rate = the upper limit of your range
So, for cardio, it really doesn't matter what you are doing, it can be jumping rope, running, chasing kids around, whatever, but to be effectively working your heart and lungs you need to stay in your target heart range for 20 - 30 min. three to five times per week.
So, for me I'm doing this 3 x's a week for now, and I'm doing strength and flexibility exercises with bands the other days. This is what will help me keep up with my kids and have more energy! Right now I'm basically carrying around the weight equivalent of a big bag of grain or a bale of hay all the time! I want to get it off!!
No comments:
Post a Comment